Tuesday 31 May 2011

Alice in Wonderland Roombox


Alice in Wonderland in 1:12 scale  
I loved the book 'Alice in Wonderland' when I was a child, and also the movie adaptation that came out last year. So when the chance came to make a roombox to fit the New Zealand Miniatures Convention theme of 'Magic Movie Moments', I knew exactly which movie I wanted to portray in miniature. Eight of us from our miniatures club made a roombox each about a different movie and fitted them together into a circle so that they looked like a film reel.
   The base levels are made of polystyrene then painted green, smeared with PVA glue and sprinkled with model railway grass scatter. I made the toadstools out of halved polystyrene balls and their stalks out of Fimo or 1:12 scale wooden flowerpots inverted and stacked. Strands of real moss hang from the walls amongst various paper and fabric plants.
   The caterpillar was fun to make - blue Fimo with its segmented body made by wrapping cotton thread round it at intervals. Its eyes are white and black beads and its feet are .... false eyelashes!
   But the piece de resistance is the Cheshire Cat. I bought a cheap wooden cat figurine and decapitated it. Then I impaled the head on a fine metal rod so it looks as if it is suspended in mid-air. Who said making minis wasn't violent!
  

2 comments:

  1. Hi, It looks lovely. Can you please tell me where you purchased the Alice miniature from. Thank for your help. Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tanya. I think I got the resin doll from Minimum World Miniatures. She's actually holding a teddy bear behind her back but I positioned her in the scene so you didn't see that.

      Delete