|A 1:12 scale braided rug|
You will need:
- embroidery cotton
- tacky glue
- piece of felt
- waxed paper
- something heavy e.g. a tin of baked beans!
- Separate the embroidery cotton into lengths, each piece of three strands. Cut three lengths 18 inches long.
- Knot the three lengths together at one end and start plaiting.
- Cut a circular piece of felt the size you want the finished rug to be.
- Cover one side of the felt in tacky glue.
- Starting from the centre, coil the plaited thread around and around, pressing it into the glue as you go making sure there are no gaps.
- If the plait is too long, cut the end off, dip it in tacky glue to keep the strands together, and tuck it in to make a neat finish at the rug's edge.
- Place the rug on a piece of waxed paper on a flat surface, cover it with another piece of waxed paper and put something heavy on top. This prevents the rug from curling up.
- Leave to dry.