Saturday 25 January 2014

How to Make Miniature Picture Frames

A Painting Framed for a Dolls House




Things to use for mini picture framing
I like to make pictures in frames for my miniature projects and have used all sorts of things for the frames. The photo above gives you an idea of what you can use that is ready-made: the silver and gold ones are charms; the 'Bless This Mouse' embroidery is framed with matchsticks for a rustic look in the Mouse House I made.
  The partly made frame is in wood, especially made for 1:12 scale. You can buy lengths of it from dolls house suppliers and hobby shops. It has a groove down one side (the rebate) that the picture or photo sits in. (I'll write more about making wooden frames in my next blog post.)

Scrapbooking frames are good for dolls houses
  I like to use frames that are made for scrapbooking as well. These have a softer, jelly-like feel. Because they are sticky backed they can be pressed straight onto a picture then the excess paper trimmed off round them. The peacock picture above is framed with one of these.
  I have also used fancy buckles as frames which work well once the 'pointy bit that goes through the holes' is removed!

Three examples of picture framing
  In this photo of my Edwardian morning room you can see three framed pictures. The one on the back wall is a little Japanese print of irises (my favourite flower) framed in a plain metal square that was a scrapbooking accessory.
  The painting of a young girl on the side wall sits in a cardboard frame I made. I then stuck a heavy lace braid over the cardboard and painted it with a gold pen. It looks like one of those ornate gilded frames you see in museums.
  The flower painting above the fireplace has a frame I made from wood, then painted gold before sticking the picture in it.
  I hope these examples give you some ideas for your own framed pictures. More on making wooden frames next time!

8 comments:

  1. Great ideas. Thank you for sharing them

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you i'll try some of these

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you, Diane. It's always nice to look into a dolls house and think, "I made that!"

      Delete
  3. Thank you for some fresh new ideas. I like your site. I have added a shortcut on my computer so I can access your site right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment, Linda. You've made my day!

      Delete