Friday 10 June 2011

Tudor Dolls House - Decorating the Exterior

The roof of the Tudor dolls house
I don't know whose suggestion it was to use cardboard price tags to make Tudor roof tiles, but it seemed like a good idea at the time! As I shaped and glued more and more and more of them, the bright idea definitely faded. But when they were all stuck on and painted with various shades of brown and terracotta, they took on a life of their own and I was pleased I'd put in all that work.
   I stained the vertical timbers with wood stain. In between them, I made a white plaster effect by mixing white paint, PVA glue, artist's sand and talcum powder. It needed experimenting to get the right consistency but was really easy to apply.

Planked door and infill bricks in 1:12 scale 
   The bricks were made with paperclay as I explained in my last Tudor house blog.
  The front door is taken from a pattern in the beautiful book called Making Dolls' House Interiors by Carol and Nigel Lodder. It is balsa wood with vertical lines scored to give the illusion of planking. The hinges and door handle are metal ones, spray painted black.

No comments:

Post a Comment