Sunday 2 October 2011

Helen Palenski, Miniaturist: Knitting

Helen's mini Winnie the Pooh knitted set
Helen Palenski
I first met Helen about ten years ago, not long after we both started making miniatures. I was in awe of her beautiful miniature knitting then and am even more so now! Helen knits day and night, but took time away from her needles to answer my questions.
W: Do you have a favourite scale to make minis?
H:  I work in all scales but lately have been making 1:48 scale projects. They are small enough to bring home when I'm travelling and don't take up much room in my house. In November when I'm at a show in America, I'm going to do a 1:48 scale beach house workshop. I usually try to do a class everywhere I go. That way I can learn new techniques and keep up with what's happening in the dolls house world.
W: Do you belong to any miniatures clubs?
H: I belong to the Papakura and City Central clubs and also an on-line group.
W: What do you knit mostly in miniature?
H:  Sweaters, teacosies in 1:12, 1:24 and 1:48 scales, and little figures. I do sets of Brambley Hedge characters, Noddy and Big Ears, Rupert Bear, Winnie the Pooh and fairy tales such as the three little pigs and the wolf.
W: Which do you find are the most popular?
H:  Peter Rabbit, I can't make enough of those, Winnie the Pooh sets and, in America, the latest craze is for Sock Monkeys. And the 1:48 scale teacosies are very popular as well.
Here is a photo of Helen's Winnie the Pooh characters. Aren't they wonderful!
In my next post I'll talk to Helen more about her travels with her knitting and her international artisan status.

2 comments:

  1. Awsome knitting. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Helen is hugely talented, bursting with ideas and a lovely person to boot!

    ReplyDelete